There are probably a million rag wreath tutorials out there to choose from, so I almost didn’t write this post. However, I wanted to share with you an example of a craft that Rose and I worked on together and both enjoyed making so that if you’ve got a kid wanting to craft, you guys can actually make a useful handicraft.
It’s been bothering me that I didn’t have a wreath for summer for a couple of years. I know that’s going to seem silly to some of you guys, but it just so happens that some of my holiday cheer comes from having a nice wreath on my door so that I can see the wreath every time I open the door for the mailman or pull into my driveway.
So, I set out to make my own wreath for summer this year because all the really nice store-bought wreaths are so expensive, and I just knew that Rose would enjoy helping me. 🙂
I went to Hobby Lobby and bought:
- a medium sized wire wreath form
- a pack of 5 fat quarter sized pieces of patriotic cloth
- a large chipboard star
- a spool of simple patriotic ribbon
Then I opened up each piece of fabric, cut it into fourths, and then cut each fourth into strips. There felt like there were a million strips.
Meanwhile, Rose ran off with the chipboard star, pulled out her acrylic paints and began to paint a flag on the star. I also had her paint the sides and the back so that none of the plain chipboard color showed through.
After that, I sat and tied knots onto the wire form. Rose tied a few, but she considered it “boring.” We watched a movie and it took me pretty much the whole movie to tie the strips on. There are four rings on the wreath form, but I really only tied on two rings, and I alternated where I tied.
Once the star was dry, I hot glued the ribbon to the back of the star, tied it onto the wreath, and then hung it on my door.
And I love it! I’m already considering making others for other holidays 🙂 This cost me about $20 to make, but since I paid $35-40 a piece for my two favorite wreaths, I don’t feel like I came out too badly. I could have lessened the costs by buying fabric on bolts or by using blue jeans and other materials I already had at home, but I didn’t, at least not on this wreath.